Contact: Noah Barnes, Electrification Coalition
email@example.com, (202) 461-2371
WASHINGTON—On Wednesday, Senators Chuck Schumer and Joe Manchin announced a major deal that includes a number of investments related to transportation electrification.
Electrification Coalition Executive Director Ben Prochazka issued the following response:
“The United States must electrify our transportation future to end the monopoly that oil has on that sector. Today’s landmark deal will help accelerate electrification for all sectors, which will improve our economic and national security, and our climate future. We applaud Senators Schumer and Manchin for negotiating this deal that will provide great benefits to the nation.
“Several key measures include:
- The creation of a new clean commercial tax credit for EVs
- The creation of a new used EV tax credit
- A long-term extension of the light-duty EV tax credit, with additional modifications
- A long-term extension of the Alternative Fuel Refueling Property Tax Credit (Section 30C) with a lift of the project cap and bidirectional charging included
- $3 billion in funding to electrify the U.S. Postal Service
- $60 million for the Diesel Emission Reduction Act program
- $2 billion for the Domestic Manufacturing Conversion Grant program
- $3 billion for the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing program
- A long-term extension of the Advanced Manufacturing Production Credit
- $600 million for a Clean Heavy-duty Vehicle Grant Program
- $2.25 billion to reduce air pollution at ports through deploying zero-emission technology
- A strong Environmental and Climate Justice Block Grant program
- A strong Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund
“Combined, these measures will promote energy security, spur American innovation, increase private sector investments, and increase U.S. manufacturing. Because electricity is produced domestically and diversely, it will keep our energy dollars at home.
“The United States currently consumes more oil than any other country in the world, which makes us vulnerable to global oil supply lines, leading to price instability and the risk of recession. By providing for urgent needs in the shift to electric transportation, the Inflation Reduction Act will make the U.S. stronger and safer.
“EVs represent a historic opportunity to create transportation systems that are cleaner, cheaper, and can finally break oil’s stranglehold that Americans feel every day at the pump. Now it’s time for Congress to finish the job and pass this critical legislation that will accelerate the electrification of our transportation future!”
About the Electrification Coalition: The Electrification Coalition is a non-partisan, not-for-profit group committed to promoting policies and actions that facilitate the deployment of plug-in electric vehicles (EVs) on a mass scale in order to combat the economic, public health, and national security dangers caused by America’s dependence on oil. The EC works with a variety of stakeholders that represent the entire electrified transportation value chain, positioning the organization as a dedicated rallying point for an array of electrification allies. For more information, visit electrificationcoalition.org.